lunedì 11 agosto 2008

This Way Up Artist Agency Podcast 003 - CHOOK + Interview


PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF (Your name/s, where you're from, how and when did you get into producing/DJing)
Chook aka Philippe Schirrer I live in Luxembourg. For those who don't know Luxembourg is between Germany, France and Belgium.
I started djing in 1995. Being into hip Hop at the time I mainly focused on the development of scratching techniques. I then got into mixing dnb around 1997. In 2002 I started making tunes and after a few months fiddling around, I decided to do a sound engineering course in London. At the same time I started up our label Full Force Recordings together with my partner Dj Radic.

CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOUR SOUND?
I guess one could pigeonhole my sound as Neurofunk. Deep, with a good dose of funk. I invest quite a lot of time in getting a clean and big sound out of my productions. I’d say the sound engineering course helped quite a bit to actually understand what you are doing.

WHAT INSPIRES YOUR MUSIC?
Well, I’d say my productions are very much inspired from old Cause4Concern, Matrix, Ed Rush & Optical and BC all the stuff that came out between 1999 and 2003. After that period it seems to me that the funk somewhat got lost. I’m trying to revive it but with the technical abilities of nowadays.

WHAT PROCESS DO YOU GO THROUGH IN CREATING A TRACK?
I like to start my track with the beat. I get it to sound as fat as possible from the start. If the beat sounds as loud and clean as a Misanthrop beat, then you can continue. Then I work on the bass and midrange using the Virus Ti or Albino 3. I then like to use weird samples for the stabs, like a photocopy machine sound for example or just take samples, layer them and change them into something completely different.
I try and mix the whole thing as I go. If you leave too much stuff for the end it can easily become a nightmare to mix everything down at the end.

WHAT INFLUENCES YOUR WORK?
I guess everything influences my work…

WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY WORKING ON?
I just finished a collab with Phace. We did a single that will come out on Full Force. I’m also working on two remixes for Aquatek, a producer from the States. One of them will be on Full Force, the other one is for Ruse Records. I might also remix Lose Control by Rregula and Dementia for the German imprint Basswerk.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE COMING OUT SOON?
Sound of Time just came out on Full Force.
Shadowland XL and Retrograde will be out on full release in May also on Full Force.
Cern ‘Tense passed’ (Chook remix) will be out on Syndrome Audio this. Chook & Phace collab will be out on Full Force end of the summer.

WHAT ARE YOUR AMBITIONS IN THE SHORT & LONG TERM
In the short term I guess reach more people in the UK. It seems as everything what’s not jump doesn’t get heard very much over there.
In the long term I want to work more on other genres of music. I just finished doing a soundtrack for a short movie called ‘The Vault’ and I’m working on another one right now. I’m also working on some minimal techno projects.


1. Panorama - Survival | DNAudio
2. Time Stops - Noisia and Teebee| Subtitles
3. Hyzer - Phace and Misanthrop | Subtitles DUB
4. Shadowland XML - Chook | Full Force
5. Tightrope - Misha | DUB
6. Sculptured - Chook&Phace | Full Force - DUB
7. Mischief Unit - Sabre Original Mix | Hardware
8. Ice cold - Prolix
9. Black Sun Empire - Crash bunny (Dose remix) | Citrus
10. Fortune - Phace&misanthrop | Subtitles DUB
11. Retrograde master - Chook | Full Force
12. Now This is It - Tiki Taane (State of Mind Remix)
13. Frozen - Chook and Phace | Full Force DUB
14. Bugs 2 Sequel - Misha | Full Force
15. Resolute - Spor | Subtitles
16. Stare Froward - Dabs (N.Phect remix)
17. Stray - Alix Perez | Shogun
18. Tense Passed - Cern (Chook remix) | Symptom DUB
19. Just A nod - Phobia (Vicious Circle remix) | Hardware
20. Shower For An Hour - TeeBee and Noisia | Subtitles
21. Shut Down - Amon Tobin | Monthly Joint
MP3::
58mb | 128kb | 61 min 03 secs

Download
This Way Up Myspace
Chook Myspace
Podcast oo1 - Masheen